Wednesday, June 16, 2010

When the Music Stops

One of the tidbits that came out of Blizzard's recent deluge of Cataclysm interviews seems to have been missed by the leading bloggers: the designers are going to change the music for all of the zones.

My favorite parts of the game are the music in Stormwind, Duskwood, Tanaris, and the Barrens. I know that some of these tunes are reused in other zones as well, but this is how I relate to them.

Changing the music is a bad idea. For one, vanilla WoW was a simpler game. The music in many places was a perfect fit. Today's music in the expansions is far louder and "fuller", more noisy.

I may grow to like the new music, but I will miss the old tunes very much.

But, maybe it is for the best. Since we associate the old music with the old zones, introducing new music for the restructured zones might be a good move after all. I can not count how many times I enter a "spooky" zone with the Duskwood music and have to wrap my head around it a little.

I just hope it is not too obnoxious.

No comments: