Sunday, April 11, 2010

Anything I Like?

Now that I've earned the World Explorer title, I have to ask, is there anything at all about Northrend that I like?

Well, not really.

There are a few spots here and there within the zones that are nice to look at, but overall the content simply does nothing for me. Outlands was similar for me, but there were a few more things about it that I liked.

Northrend is just too dark maybe.

Even the music is lacking.

I wonder if it is a case of over-production? Sometimes when something is too heavily produced it looses an important aspect.

Another issue I am having with Northrend is how crowded it is. There are a few places where there are some wide open vistas, but most of the continent is so packed with camps and ruins and citadels that you can stand almost anywhere and see something not far off. Also, the filters change too quickly. You do not have to walk far at all to suddenly find yourself surrounded by different color. Many zones have several filter colors within their borders.

These quick changes take away from the epic vastness that should be in an MMORPG. I don't know if they can do it, but I would love to see all the content in Northrend simply stretched out to about twice what the map is now. Not every nook and cranny has to be filled with something clever of related to a quest. Unfortunately, Blizzard's level of quality demands that every inch of the game be unique and hand drawn. This means that by adding twice the land mass, Blizzard designers and artists would have to add twice the amount of unique detail. Which would just result in more filters I suppose.

Anyway, those are some of the reasons I am not enjoying Northrend. I fear the day I level an alt enough that he has to go through this zone. I may never have an alt go past level 70.

No comments: