Friday, February 6, 2009

Good-Bye Ammunition

Recent patch notes for 3.1.0 declare:

HUNTER

  • Consumable ammunition has been removed from the game. Arrows and bullets no longer stack, but are not consumed. Ranged attack speed bonus gained from quivers and ammo bags will be preserved in a different capacity.

And so, Blizzard continues its head-long descent into homogenization. I guess I'll enjoy the extra bag space. I'm sure most hunters will cheer this change on. For me, it is just one more of those little things that did not need to be fixed. Filling your quiver and part of your bags with arrows is a character trait. For me, the lost bag space was fair trade for how quickly I can burn down mobs compared to some of the other classes.

I'll get used to it. I'm certain I'll even grow to like it and wonder how I could have ever wanted things to be otherwise. But right now, I just can't help but think that now my hunter will feel even more like all the other classes.

Some time ago there was some discussion about removing the need for warlocks to farm shards that do not stack. I think it would have been fair to let the shards stack at least a little but early on Blizzard said something about how the shards are a central aspect of the class and should not be messed with. Yet, in the same patch notes we have:

WARLOCK
  • Drain Soul now has a chance to produce Soul Shards even if the target doesn’t die.
Not a game-breaking change by any means, but it feels like tease to something bigger planned for the future. How long before shards are treated like ammo and simply removed as a consumable?

Another frustrating component of this change is that players have been asking since launch for the ability to craft arrows and gather wood. Instead of implementing new professions, we have simply lost the need for them.

Quivers (ammo bags) are also affected by this change. Hunters have no more need for them. That means leather workers have fewer items to craft.

More bag space is nice, but really, I'd rather have more options, more uniqueness, and more content. All this change does is remove a little bit from all of those.

Blizzard, stop fixing things that are not broken.

No comments: