Wednesday, January 28, 2009

BOP World Drops

Old news, yes. But for those who missed it during the Burning Crusade, or for entirely new players, here is a quick run-down.

From time to time a mob will drop an item that was unexpected. It could be of any quality. The auction house is full of these random world drops. However, in The Burning Crusade, Blizzard decided that some of these random world drops should be Bind on Pickup. A BOP item cannot be traded or sold to auction. If a nice epic two-hand tanking sword drops for a mage, too bad, he is not going to be giving it to his friend, or passing it to an alt.

An additional feature of the BOP world drops that I didn't realize until tonight, is that (at least for the one I found) you can not even sell them to a vendor.

All in all, if you can't use it, you have to delete it from your inventory. A BOP world drop is an item of no worth whatsoever, unless you can use it.

In my case, I found a jewelcrafting pattern. Unfortunately my character is a leather worker and skinner. I thought I might pass it on to a guild member, but it was BOP. Then I thought I could at least sell it to a vendor, but no, wrong again. I was forced to delete it.

I told a guild mate that there is no good reason for Blizzard to implement this feature except to make the players angry.

BOP world drops are an exercise in failure.

Blizzard, please stop fixing things that are not broken.

No comments: